February 28, 2010

ADD stands for Attention Deficit.. LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!

Well that was fun while it lasted. I was really in a groove there for a while, but alas, no good thing in medicine lasts long. I'm going into my 9th week of internal medicine now... and I'm sick of it. Sick of detailed assessments and plans, sick of "rule out MI", sick of pontificating on the various minutiae of pathophysiology. Granted 9 weeks in any discipline can get tiresome, I imagine. Couple that with being sorely behind in my review for the massive "you will FAIL this shelf!" shelf exam bearing down in 11 days, and a new senior who believes "you can't learn if you aren't in the hospital, so I'm going to keep you here forever muahahaha" and well, you get the idea.

But if there's one thing you learn as a third year, its how to grin and bear it.

11 more days.

Grin.

In the meantime, if you're looking for some good reading, don't look here. But look here:
Great story about the hidden lives of our patients, by Aggravated DocSurg. This story really encapsulates where I was at with my last post.

If you're a pre-med or just someone considering going to medical school, don't do it for the money, or the so-called "prestige", or the babes, because such things are slowly being eroded away (well, except the babes... I think?). But there are still plenty of great reasons to go into medicine, and Dr. Parks over at Buckeye Surgeon states it absolutely eloquently.

And, and your homework for next time... read up on Throckmorton's Sign.


'Till next time.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I liked this post, Bobby :) Keep up the writing when you can..... I miss it much!